The scene is all too familiar in the life of a man who doesn’t own a beard bib.
After a while, you noticed that the results were great, and your beard is in tip-top shape, but then you notice all the beard trimmings in the sink, and all around the floor around you.
When your wife gets home, you know she’s going to be nagging about the state of the sink for hours on end, and you are left pondering “Man, maybe this beard thing isn’t for me…”
This all could have been avoided if you just had used a beard bib, aka. the facial hair trimmings catcher or shaving apron.
No time for full review? Here’s a quick beard bib comparison table. ↓
What is a Beard Bib & Why You Need it
The original concept and the idea of a beard bib came from Nicholas and Alessia Galekovic, a couple who showcased the product in one episode of the hit show; Shark Tank.
They pitched 20% of their company, The Beard King, for $100,000 investment. Their key product was the soon to be revolutionary “Beard Bib”, a shaving apron that is attached between the user and a bathroom mirror.
The beard bib collects all the beard hairs that fall as a result of cutting or trimming the facial hair, and from the bib, the hairs can be easily shuttled down into a trash bin.
Eventually, the sharks liked their idea and the numbers, and cut out a sweet deal for the Galekovic couple, and judging by the thousands of raving reviews and frequent “sold-out” state of the Beard King’s Beard Bib, it’s likely that the company is doing very well currently.
And they should be, their idea of a beard shaving apron is extremely simple, yet it has the possibility of revolutionizing men’s beard trimming or at least the clean-up part.
Here’s a quick video of their Shark Tank trip:
The benefits of using a beard trimming apron:
- Less trimming mess on the bathroom sink.
- After you get used to it, your grooming time is reduced significantly.
- Your wife or special someone, perhaps even a roommate are happier.
- Less money spent on drain anti-cloggers (okay, maybe I’m stretching it)…
What must be frustrating to them is the number of copycats cashing in on their idea with beard bibs of their own, some even blatantly using their product images and photoshopping different heads to the body in the original beard bib product images and changing the Beard King logo to their own.
Sure, our beard trimmings catcher review below includes some other brands than the original Beard King, but we tried to include only a few of them that are not ridiculously blatant copy-cats and who bring something else to the table than just the exact same product with a different logo.
Best Beard Bibs of 2019 Reviewed
1. The Original Beard King Bib
Of course, you can’t have a beard apron review without giving full credit to the original and best product out there; The Beard King Bib.
The shaving apron pioneered by the Galekovic couple is simple and easy to use. Just wrap the back part around your neck and attach it with the velcro strap, then put the two suction cups at the tops ends into your bathroom mirror and start trimming the beard.
The beard bib then collects all of your trimmings, and you can easily dispose them by first removing the two suction cups (from the clips, not by pulling) and then sliding the hairs into a bin.
Here’s a quick video of how the beard bib works:
There are multiple versions of their original design which they have made after appearing in the Shark Tank, but the most prominent four are the white and black deluxe version, and the white and black lite version.
- The original and authentic product that benefits the inventors.
- Simple to use and not cheaply made like most of the knock-offs.
- Simply collects the trimmings and saves you time when you get used to using it.
- Comes with clear instructions and the internet is full of video guidance for this product.
- Your wife will be happy that the messy sink and clogged drains area thing of the past.
- The original beard bib is a bit more expensive than the rip-off shaving aprons.
- Some users complain that it takes more time to use the bib than clean up the mess.
- If you’re not careful and won’t follow instructions, you will break the suction cups.
Our Score: 9.7 / 10
2. Man Mess Transparent Shaving Bib
I’m not going to sugar-coat it, the Man Mess Transparent Shaving Bib is blatantly copying Beard King with most of its design.
The only difference in this product is that the middle part of the beard trimmings catcher is transparent, so you can better see what goes around underneath. It also has a little pocket where you can slide your beard comb into if you use one as an aid in your grooming routine.
(this shaving bib comes with a bonus wooden beard comb which is decent quality).
Using the transparent beard trimming bib is as simple as with any of them; just strap the velcro around your neck, attach the suction cups to the mirror in front, and press gently in the middle to create a “basket” for the trimmings to fall into.
Once you’re done, gently remove the suction cups and fold the bib into a slide to dispose the beard hairs into the trash bin.
- Does what it should do; leaves the sink clean and prevents clogged drains.
- Transparent design makes it look nice and helps to see what’s underneath.
- Price is quite low when you factor in the beard comb that comes with the bib.
- This product is a bit better quality than most of the copy-cats using sub-par materials.
- Markets itself as “premium” but its far from the Beard King Bib’s quality.
- Not the original and authentic beard bib, and doesn’t credit Beard King at all.
- It’s even easier to break the suction cups in this one than in the authentic one.
Our Score: 8.2 / 10
3. Barbaro Beard Bib Kit
The Barbaro Beard Shaving Cape and Trimmings Cather is another copy-cat of the Beard King.
It’s a decent quality bib with relatively durable fabric and it comes with an added boar bristle beard brush which is a nice touch.
Their only competitive edge is the low price, which makes this beard bib kit the best budget choice.
The use of the bib is exactly the same as with the above ones. Just strap the velcro around the neck, place the suction cups on the mirror, and gently press a little basket into the middle for the trimmings to fall into. Once you’re finished just remove suction cups and slide the hairs into a bin.
All-in-all, it’s a good cheap beard bib that does what its supposed to do with a small price tag, but not the original authentic brand, and their lack of giving any credit is laughable.
- Works just like a beard bib should, prevents mess and clogged drains.
- Of all the dozens of knockoff’s, this one is relatively good quality at least.
- Really low price when you factor in the included beard brush which isn’t bad.
- Blatantly uses wording like “The King of Beard Bibs” without crediting the original.
- Even though it’s nice and cheap, and looks kinda good, it’s still a knockoff.
- Like with all of them, the suction cups break if you’re not careful.
Our Score: 8.1 / 10
How to Use Shaving Bibs & Catchers
Here’s how to properly use a beard trimming bib:
- Make sure your facial hair is dry and groom-ready.
- Put your trimmer, comb, brush, and beard scissors somewhere close by.
- Attach the beard bib around your neck using the velcro straps on the back.
- Take the suction cups to both hands, then attach them to the mirror or flat tiles.
- Press gently in the center of the beard bib to create a little basket for the hairs.
- Trim your beard using the trimmer, scissors, maybe even a beard shaping template.
- Once done, remove the suction cups from the clips, not by pulling straight off.
- fold the shaving apron into a little chute and let them slide into a trash bin.
Conclusion on the Shaving Hair Catcher & Beard Bib Review
Beard bib is a revolutionary trimming & grooming tool that keeps your bathroom sink clean and your special someone happy.
Full credit of the idea goes to the authentic Beard King, and the pioneers of the product; Nicholas and Alessia Galekovic, and the copy-cats ought to at least give credit where credit is due.
That concludes our beard shaving aprons review, hope you liked it. Until next time!