Trimming your beard is no child’s play. It’s a serious business that requires quality tools and a sturdy hand.
Many men like to trim theirs at a barbershop for supreme quality, but with some good gear, most of your basic beard clipping, cutting, and trimming can be handled at the privacy and comfort of your own home.
To help you not colossally Mess Up the results, we built up this review of the 7 best choices of banger quality trimmers and trimmer kits for beard styling.
Table of Contents
- Primer: Before you Buy, what to Look for
- 1. The Best Beard Trimmer: Wahl Lithium Ion Plus
- 2. Philips Norelco Multi Groomer MG7750
- 3. Braun Multi-Grooming Kit MGK3045
- 4. Philips Norelco Oneblade Pro
- 5. Wahl Professional Five-Star Magic Clip
- 6. Virtually Indestructible Beard Trimmer
- 7. FARI Multifunctional Beard Trimmer
- Bonus Products to Help Beard Trimming
Primer: Before you Buy, what to Look for
Buying a beard trimmer is something you shouldn’t do in a rush.
After all, quality facial hair clippers can last you nearly a lifetime.
If you get something that’s versatile, durable, and – most importantly – pleasant to use, time and time again, you can significantly boost your life quality.
Not to mention the quality and style of your precious facial hair.
So before you do the mistake of jumping in and buying something without taking a closer look, let’s quickly go through the main pointers to look out for when buying a beard trimmer, so that you actually know what you’re getting.
What to look for in a beard trimmer:
- Corded or Cordless? Some men like their facial hair trimmers to have the cord, while others enjoy the battery-powered kind. Some trimmers have a charging station and others can be used while the cord is in place, or after a good charge. Keep this in mind, as there are also some beard clippers that can be used ONLY when plugged in.
- The Length of the Beard. Your beard length is an important factor when choosing a trimmer. Some offer a noticeably closer and sharper shave, while others leave a noticeable stubble and offer much more pleasant trimming experience. Keep this in mind when choosing a beard trimmer. Are you more of a 5 o’clock shadow guy, Gandalf, or fancy a completely clean-shaven look?
- Beard Thickness. Some men have so thick and coarse beards that the weaker battery powered motors simply don’t have it in them to get the job done. If this is you, consider the more heavy duty options.
- Do you travel a lot? If so, you might want to look into Lithium-ion battery powered minimalist style beard trimmers with international voltage use (most commonly either 110v or 220v). It would suck to go from the US to Europe with a bulky corded beard trimmer, just to notice that the plug won’t fit the sockets and that the whole thing would break when used with the wrong voltage.
I think we got all the primers and whatnot handled, let’s get into the meat and potatoes of this beard trimmer review; here are your 7 top facial hair trimmers.
1. The Best Beard Trimmer: Wahl Lithium Ion Plus
Gun to my head, If you’d ask me what was the best and most compact nice feeling beard trimmer right now.
I would choose Wahl Lithium Ion Plus.
Just look at it. Nice design, compact, and versatile.
Similar to what you’ve probably seen your barber use occasionally. After all, Wahl is the most used brand by barbers.
2. Philips Norelco Multi Groomer MG7750
If you’ve read a lot of beard trimmer reviews, you’ve probably seen that Philips Norelco beard trimmers come up in those a lot.
And this one ain’t different.
Possibly the top rated beard trimmer line from the popular brand Philips, and for that matter one of the top rated trimmers in the World, the Norelco series is hard to beat.
And when it comes to the Norelco Multi Groomer MG7750, it’s their flagship product in terms of beard trimmers, coming with a mind-blowing 23-pieces of attachments.
3. Braun Multi-Grooming Kit MGK3045
In need of something little more than just a basic bead trimmer?
This 7-in-1 grooming kit has pretty much everything you could ever think of in terms of facial hair trimming.
The kit includes a fitting little trimming engine that comes with 4 adjustable combs ranging from 0,5-21mm in length.
On top of this you’ll get a special nose-trimmer piece, an ear-trimmer piece, and a Gilette Fusion ProGlide shaver (for the neck line)
4. Philips Norelco Oneblade Pro
If you value simplicity and minimalism, then the Oneblade Pro is perfect solution for your beard trimming needs.
This powerful little trimmer can handle any facial hair challenge thrown at it, as it trims, edges, and shaves pretty much any length of beard.
It comes with only 3 blades, the one attached to the actual trimmer, a replaceable shaver head, and an adjustable 14-length variable guard blade.
The Oneblade Pro also comes with a neat little charging stand and LCD power-display, so you know when it’s time to charge it up before running out of power.
5. Wahl Professional Five-Star Magic Clip
If you want to go all-in on a professional-grade corded/cordless beard clipper. This is it.
The trimmer features incredibly powerful rotary motor and patented high precision zero-overlap 2161 blades which are claimed to be fastest on the market and extremely useful for fading and blending.
With the lithium ion battery the 5-star magic clip can run for 90 minutes cordless or all-day if you decide to use it with the cord on.
With the actual trimmer, you’ll also get accessories like 8 different size guards, blade oil, and red blade guard.
6. Virtually Indestructible Beard Trimmer
If you’re looking for one-time purchase of a cheap barbershop quality beard trimmer, then look no further than Renimgton’s Virtually Indestructible.
As the name implies, this virtually indestructible trimmer comes with a 15-piece kit of different length-adjusting combs, blade-oil, travel bag, comb & brush.
Honestly though, most bearded brothers will just be using the trimmer as is, without any combs or such; and that’s where this nice looking yellow Remington works perfectly. It’s just a nice quality trimmer that lasts for a lifetime, gets the job done, and doesn’t jam, snag, or pull your beard.
7. FARI Multifunctional Beard Trimmer
What you’re looking at here is basically the same thing as the Braun’s trimmer above, but with some slight differences.
It has a nice looking sturdy trimmer part, several length-adjusting combs, ear-trimmer piece, nose-trimmer piece, micro-trimmer blades, and a shaver part (which you probably won’t use).
The trimmer also nicely charges with micro-usb, and gives out 2 -hours of use per each 2-hours of charging. So you could say that it’s slightly more battery-efficient and multifunctional than the Braun trimmer above.
Bonus Products to Help Beard Trimming
Versatile beard trimmer is only the beginning, there’s so much more that can be used to further enhance the experience, improve beard quality & style, and also lengthen the life-span of your beard trimmer itself.
Aberlite FLexShaper for Neckline
This is probably the best beard trimming tool you can get to never ever having to worry about your neckline. It’s dirt-cheap and lasts for years.
The Official Beard Bib
If you’re an avid fan of the Shark Tank, you’ve probably seen the episode where Beard Bib was introduced. Looking at their reviews, they made it.
Scotch Porter Beard Collection Care Kit
I’m extremely hesitant to recommend beard wash and conditioner products since so many of them have unnecessary chemicals that harm the beard and completely strip the natural oils. However, Scotch Porter has always made excellent, gentle, sulfate and paraben-free products. We recommend getting their complete care kit.
The Drunken Pelican Beard Oil
After testing nearly hundred different beard oils, and evaluating their ingredients in terms of usability and long-term facial hair health (we don’t care about those rancid vegetable-oil laden hormone suppressing disasters), we have finally concluded that The Drunken Pelican Beard Oil is the best beard oil in the market. Period.
Conclusion on Best Beard Trimmers
Hope this ultimate beard trimmer review helped you choose the right gear for you.
Whether it’s Wahl, Braun, Philips, Remington, or Fari; we are sure you are going to enjoy your new trimmer.
And remember, trimming is just the beginning. There’s so much more that goes into beard care. You got the oils, the shampoos, the growth boosters (yes, those exist for you – and real ones – not the scammy kind).