So you got a thick mustache needing some extra hold?
You’ve come to the right place. Our mustache wax guide will set you right up with the toughest moustache & beard waxes around.
We are going to show you not only the best products, but also a little bit about what to look for in a good quality wax, and what you should definitely be avoiding.
Moreover, the proper use of beard & mustache wax is crucial, you don’t just want to slap it on your face straight up, there’s a little bit of art that goes into the craft, but more about that below.
Now, behold the ultimate guide to mustache and beard wax products.
What to Look for in a Mustache Wax?
There are some key factors that go into choosing the best type of mustache wax for you.
As many as there are men, there’s also mustaches, and they’re all different.
Moreover, your goals are important; the hold, the scent, the ingredients?
All of these need to come into place perfectly, to create the best mustache wax product, just for you.
On top of this, the end product should be fitting your budget.
Here are three key factors to keep in mind:
- The hold – There’s plenty of beard and mustache wax products with different degrees of hold, usually they are labeled as easy, medium, and hard. Decide whether you want your whiskers to stand in attention all day, or if a more natural, lesser degree of hold is better for you.
- The scent – Your mustache is right under your nose, which means that the scent of the product is going to matter A LOT. If you are sensitive to smell, it’s not the wisest thing to look for the product with muskiest, manliest odor around. For the most scent-sensitive, there are also plenty of neutral options.
- The ingredients – Many products claim to be “all natural” and have the finest ingredients. Yet this isn’t often the case. If the products main ingredient is petroleum (vaseline) with a bunch of unpronounceable chemicals behind it, run. We want quality natural waxes with saturated & monounsaturated fatty acids.
The best beard & moustache wax for you; is the one with the perfect scent, just the right amount of hold, and a short list of natural & high-quality ingredients. Low price and nice design shouldn’t hurt either, but those should be secondary factors on top of the three above.
How to Properly Use and Apply Mustache Wax
Like I said in the beginning, there’s a bit of art that goes into the craft of using mustache wax.
» For the best results, take a blow dryer and heat up the tin for a bit, this makes the wax much easier to apply.
» Next, take a roughly pea-sized chunk of the wax between your thumbs and index fingers, and rub it around to soften it into a more workable form.
» Apply the wax from the center of the ‘Stache and work outwards, using both of your hands, try to spread the wax out evenly; shaping as you go.
10 Greatest Mustache Waxes of 2019
1. Mr. Bear Family Moustache Wax
I personally use a lot of Mr. Bear Familys products.
The brand is from Sweden, and since I live right next to them in Finland, I have a good supply of their products available locally.
Much to my surprise, after trying several brands from all around the World, I keep coming back to their waxes.
- The Woodland scent is perfect; masculine and foresty.
- The base ingredients are pure quality; beeswax, lanolin, and shea butter.
- The wax has a very strong hold, I hardly ever have to reapply during the day.
2. Battlecry ‘Stache Wax
Battlecry’s ‘Stache wax is a really nice extremely cheap option.
Without skimping on the quality of the ingredients, Battlecry still manages to keep their price low and avoid unnecessary chemicals.
The hold is strong and gives you pliability that should last a full day without reapplying.
The scent is a mix of vanilla, patchouli, and the sweet honey that comes from the natural beeswax.
Here’s why we like the ‘Stache wax:
- 100% Organic beeswax, shea butter & avocado oil base.
- Free of petroleum, chemicals, alcohol, and sulfates.
- Competitive pricing, one of the cheapest on the market.
3. Opium Den Hydrating Wax
The Opium Den Mustache Wax by Bearded Bastard has possibly the best scent of all the mustache waxes I’ve tried.
It’s a 100% American made product, hand-crafted in Texas.
This spicy tobacco resin scented wax has a reasonably strong hold, exquisite wooden design, and a good list of ingredients.
Inside the 1fl oz. tin is beeswax base with jojoba oil, lanolin, and cocoa butter.
4. Viking Revolution Sandalwood Beard Balm
This is one of the most popular beard balm products in Amazon.
It goes for shaping both; the moustache and the beard.
The Viking Revolution balm is not as hard in texture as normal mustache waxes, but instead a somewhat of a hybrid between beard oil and mustache wax.
Because of this, it works best as a leave-in conditioner with medium hold, rather than having an ultra-strong grip on your whiskers.
Here’s why we like it:
- 100% natural argan oil, beeswax, and mango butter.
- No harmful parabens, phthalates, sulfates, and other man-made chemicals.
- Extremely cheap without sacrificing quality, larger tin than most waxes.
- Not an overly strong scent, well suited for men who prefer subtle aroma.
5. Lucky Franc’s Unscented Hold Wax
If you’re not a fan of heavily scented beard & mustache waxes, then this product might be for you.
This all natural wax comes in a larger than normal 2fl oz. tin and provides “heavy hold” for the whiskers.
If your mustache is easily irritated by beard products and you don’t enjoy the richer aromas present in most products of this nature, then Franc’s is the go-to brand.
Here’s why we like it:
- Firm hold, yet subtle & unscented.
- Fairly cheap for its larger size.
- Comes with a money-back guarantee.
- No useless chemicals, just natural beeswax, coconut oil, lanolin, and microwax.
6. The Death Grip
Well, as the name implies, this is probably the strongest holding mustache wax ever.
It comes with a really woodsy scent and is hand-crafted in Colorado.
Although you might expect a wax with this intense hold to be full of man-made chemicals, it’s actually 100% natural ingredients.
In fact, The Death Grip Moustache wax has only three:
- Pine rosin
- And lanolin.
The only issue with this power holding beast is that it’s massively popular, and almost always out of stock (it’s out of stock at the time of writing this too).
7. Pinaud Clubman Neutral Moustache Wax
This is one of World’s most iconic upper lip waxes
Thousands of men rave about its greatness and claim that it really is the real deal, the godfather.
The tub comes with a nifty little comb/applicator, and the ingredients look decent to me.
Other than the normal natural ingredients like beeswax and coconut oil, you also do get some food-grade preservatives in the mix, however, these should be relatively harmless, even to the most sensitive skinned.
I personally can’t say much about the Clubman, as I never seem to find it in Finland and it’s hard to order here. But take it from their raving fans, this stuff seems to be worthy of a top 10 spot.
8. The Bearded Goon’s Ridiculously Strong
The Bearded Goon is one of the most popular beard & mustache waxes in Amazon.
Their normal sized 1fl oz. tin holds in the basic ingredients we’ve come to like in this list, with no harmful chemicals, fragrances, or colorings.
This is the natural goodness inside:
- Coconut oil
- Shea butter
- Tree resin
- Essential oils
The scent is a mild and natural, yet despite being labeled as “ridiculously strong”, it doesn’t even come close to the hold of The Death Grip. I’d go as far as saying that this is medium hold at best. Still, it’s a decently good petroleum-free wax.
9. Mr. Natty’s Twizzle Wax
This is the smallest tin in the whole list.
Just 0.34fl oz. Which makes it great to carry around in your pocket and when you travel.
For daily use, it’s gonna run out pretty quick. It also has an acquired citrus & bergamot scent; some hate it, others love it.
I personally carry it around in my pockets when I let my mustache get long and bushy, definitely wouldn’t recommend on shorter ‘Staches.
The price is also a bit on the higher end if you’re in the US. Since I live in Europe and this is a brand from the UK, it’s far cheaper here.
As far as the ingredients go, the base has got lots of the good stuff, and none of the bad: just beeswax, avocado butter, and olive oil.
10. Seven Potions Beard Wax
The Seven Potions Woodland Harmony beard wax is great for everyday mustache & beard styling needs.
It’s got a medium hold, a standard 1 fl oz. tin, and all natural organic ingredients.
This means no parabens, no phthalates, no sulfates, no fragrances, no colorings.
Instead, you get a nourishing blend of coconut oil, palm oil, jojoba wax, peach kernel oil, cocoa butter, avocado butter, palm free vegetable glycerin, and vitamin E, along with some woodsy essential oils.
If you’re looking for nothing fancy; just a quality, reliable, daily wax for the whole face that is strong enough to hold a moderate ‘Stache in place, get yourself a tin of Seven Potions.
Conclusion on Beard & Moustache Waxes
Getting yourself the best ‘Stache and beard wax comes down to preference.
However, it’s smart to scout for products that have no nasty man-made chemicals, no petroleum and synthetic fragrances, and mostly organic natural ingredients.
We think the 10 products above fit the criteria and surely, you’ll find one you and your ‘Stache can call your own from the ten.